The Mausoleum lies three miles from Salen, off the B8035, and is situated about 1 km north west of Old Gruline House. Macquarie chose this site when he felt he was nearing death. He died on 29 July 1824. There is no vehicular access (except for disabled) so park here and start the walk by heading along the signed track. Lachlan MacQuarie was born on the Isle of Ulva, just off the northwest coast of Mull, in 1761. His father was a cousin of the last chief of Clan MacQuarrie. He joined the military in 1775, at the age of just 14, and rose to become a Major General, but retired to travel the world after 30 years of service. When his first wife died shortly. During his tenure in office (1810-1821) MacQuarie travelled widely in Australia and helped improve the political stability of the newly developing region. He resigned his post in 1821 due to poor health, and moved back to Mull, where he died in 1824. For many years the state of the Macquarie mausoleum remained sadly neglected. Eventually, on 6 October 1948, the mausoleum site was gifted by Lady Yarborough, the owner of the 'Jarvisfield' estate (1948-49), to the people of New South Wales through an Australian Trust consisting of the Union Trustee Co. of Australia and the Royal Australian Historical Society. There was a will issue with his son - Lachlan Junior who grew up to become a dissolute drunkard and a gambler. He married Isabella Campbell in 1836, but died without issue in May 1845, aged just 31. According to some accounts, Lachlan was inebriated when he fell downstairs at Craignish Castle (the home of his wife’s family). His Macquarie cousins were shocked to discover that he had left the bulk of his estate to his friend William Henry Drummond (later Viscount Strathallan).
The MacLean clan has its origins in the 13th Century, with the clan’s first chief being one Gillean of the Battle Axe. Duart Castle first came into the ownership of the MacLeans in 1367, as part of the marriage settlement between Mary MacDonald, daughter of the powerful Lord of the Isles, and Lachlan, Chief of Clan MacLean. Built in the 13th century, Duart was a stronghold of Clan Maclean for over 400 years; the lands of the Macleans were spread across the west coast of Scotland and the islands of Mull, Jura, Coll and Tiree. The 11th chief, Lachlan Cattanach, is famous for stranding his second wife, Catherine, on Lady’s Rock in the Sound of Mull, in the hope that the incoming tide would drown her. His reason was only that she had failed to give him an heir. By the next morning she was no longer there, and he reported her death to her brother, the Earl of Argyll. However, some time later, Lachlan must have been surprised to find his wife sitting at her brother’s side at a banquet in Inveraray: she had been rescued from the rock by a fisherman. After backing James VII in the Civil War and subsequently opposing the Glorious Revolution, in 1691 the Macleans surrendered Duart and all their lands on Mull to the Duke of Argyll. The Castle, although in a fairly poor condition, was used as a garrison for Government troops until 1751 when it was abandoned. In 1910, Duart was purchased by Sir Fitzroy Maclean, 26th Chief and he set about the enormous task of the restoring the building.